When you have been asked to write a case study as part of your college coursework, you need to know how to choose an appropriate topic for it. You may be assigned a topic by your instructor. But, when you have been asked to choose a case study topic, you need to realize that not every topic is fit for a case study.
It is better to stay clear of the overused topics because these may turn out to be uninteresting for your professors. Your lecturers will want something new from you and this makes the freshness of the topic all the more important.
So, as a student, you can use the following guidelines to choose a good case study topic:
- Brainstorming: This is believed to be one of the best ways used by students to get case study topics. When you write the ideas down on paper, you are motivated to write on them. Brainstorming is most useful when you have already been assigned a topic. But, it can also help you narrow any given topic. Students are given a specific time-period during which they must jot down their ideas in point form.
- Find Issues of Interest: You must select a topic which interests you, like a political controversy or a recent news event that may have made you anxious or angry. You could choose any topic which you find interesting, related to government, social sciences or even current events. You could be keen to know about something in medicine or arts, music or literature.
- Understand Assignment: Before writing any paper, you must understand the assignment topic given to you. Without a proper understanding you may research on unrelated matters which will be only a waste of energy and time. So, you should talk to your instructor to choose the best topic and to find the right audience for your research.
- Read Literature: Your aim should be to pick out a topic which incites you to read extensively on that topic. You can start reading on two or three of the shortlisted topics to see how a broad topic relates to many narrow issues. This will help you to come up with relevant keywords which can assist your research. You can take help from the librarian to scan journals, newspapers and magazines to find interesting topics to write on. Alternately, you can also take the help of popular search engines like Bing and Google to find websites on your choice of topics to indulge in some online learning.
- Focus on Topic: It is important to ensure that the topic you choose is manageable, and you can find materials for it easily. When the topic is very narrow in scope or too broad in scope, researching on it may be a challenge. So, if you plan to write a case study on a topic like “environment”, you must narrow it down to geographical regions, like studying the environmental problems in a specific geographical area. You could narrow down the topic in terms of culture, discipline, population groups etc. On the other hand, when a topic is too locally confined, research may be difficult. If the topic is very recent, finding relevant journals on it may be difficult.
- Ask Instructor: You may realize that the topic you thought of does not fit in with those given to you. So, reaching out to your lecturer may be a good idea. You can ask him for his opinions about your choice of topic. As a first timer, your experience is far limited compared to your instructor. He may have assigned certain topics because he believes these will help you in the long run.
- Find Keywords: The next step to choosing a case study topic is to make a list of important keywords. This means that you have to seek words that can describe your topic the best. You will find these in articles and general information in encyclopedia articles. You should also search for narrower and wider terms and synonyms to expand your research.
- Do Flexible Research: It is important to keep your mind open when you do research because you never know what you may find. You may get too much information and be forced to narrow your focus. Else, you may get very less data and be compelled to widen your research focus.
- Modify the Topic: You may need to change the topic as you proceed with the research. This becomes necessary when you realize that you have to keep your word limit in check. You need to remember the deadline for the assignment and the extent of coverage you can handle. So, you may start with a word and then find developing interest in another aspect of that concept. You can also do a topic analysis research before finalysing the topic.
- Read Extensively on Topic: It is important to research on the topic using keywords which you have collected from article databases, search engines etc. There must be a lot of reading before you begin to write the case study. You need to figure out if you can come up with answers to the research question.
- . Make Thesis Statement: You can start to write the topic like a thesis statement. This will state the purpose of the research in a couple of sentences. This also conveys the impression that you have ample evidence to justify the thesis
- Find SEO-Friendly Topics: It may be a good idea to look for topics which are of interest to your own persona and which can trigger searches. So, if you are keen to sell goods on Pinterest, you can build content which is both persona-friendly and search-friendly.
Mary Jones has written articles and papers which have been selected by many reputed academic journals and paper publishing platforms. She is also a private tutor at AssignmentEssayHelp Mary Jones is known for her academic prowess in subjects like Human Resources & Sociology / Psychology.