Common Myths About Mold And How To Get Rid Of Mold

Yukki MoldMold. We heard about it, read about it, and if we were unlucky, had to deal with it. There is so much misleading information out there concerning mold and its cleaning procedures that people nowadays get alarmed for no reason at all or take things into their own hands when handling mold, and in doing so, end up causing more harm than good.

To help you separate truth from myths, we bring you some common misconceptions about mold you should know about.

Bleach is the right solution for mold problems.

Bleach and other household cleaners will only remove surface mold, while the underlying moisture problem will remain. Also, bleach is ineffective when it comes to treating mold on fabrics, drywall, insulation, wood and upholstery, because the mold grows too deep in such materials and cannot be safely removed. In that case, it is better to get rid of infected material altogether.

When cleaning with bleach, keep in mind that it is a harsh chemical and that is should be used in low concentration and with safety measures, especially when combining it with other household products.

If I don’t see mildew or moldy spots, it can’t be mold.

Even if you can’t see moldy spots, you should be able to smell mold. It usually has a musty odor, although the smell depends on the species. While some smell woody, other have a sour smell. Nevertheless, the smell indicates clear sign of mold.

I’ll just paint over it.

That won’t do you any good. Even if you visually hide mold by painting over it, mold will still grow when it comes in contact with any kind of moisture. The right thing to do would be to remove mold with approved procedures, and then paint over the area.

Only black mold is dangerous.

If the mold is found indoors, it is bad. That is the fact. Black is just a color. All types of indoor mold indicate presence of moisture in your home and release spores that affect sensitive people, triggering allergy symptoms, like eye and skin irritation, stuffy nose or shortness of breath. So if you or your family members have  week immune system or are prone to allergies, you must take serious steps to keep your home mold free in order to preserve your health.

I will never be able to sell my house if mold is detected.

This should not be a problem, as long as you take necessary steps to take care of it, by eliminating the existing moldas well as all sources of moisture. I used moldbusters safety guide which is really good. Your home will then be mold cleared and this should no be an issue for a potential buyer. More so, it will present you as being a responsible homeowner who has dealt with major house problems and secured a healthy environment for everyone.

If I don’t see it, it doesn’t exist.

Sure it does. Mold can be found everywhere. Mold thrives in high moisture surroundings, and can easily hide behind wall finishes or places which are not often monitored. You should keep an eye on common mold affected areas, such as attic, basement, or even your bathroom. Also, musty odor and signs of water are good indicators of presence of the mold.

Keep in mind that even if you don’t see it, mold can affect your health as it reproduces by airborne spores. So, if you want to make sure your home is mold free, you should have a qualified inspector investigate your home and conduct mold testing.

Michael Carrige is a well known journalist. He usually writes abot home improvement tips. Here he shared his advice about common myth about mold.

Advertisement